When I started this challenge, I thought it would take me a little longer than three months, given I primarily read books by Australian women, and thought I’d be searching more for books by Australian men. However, I got lucky, and with so many releases, I managed to complete this challenge by March, well ahead of schedule, with some really good books by kids’ authors as well, that came my way in the past few months, making it easier for me to complete this challenge, even though I had a few ideas of what I might read had these books not come to me.
I did the Kangaroo level, as I was unsure of how many male authors, I would find at first – but there seems to be several now that I will read, beyond this challenge. At the same time, I can check off one challenge and focus on the others and my other reading earlier than I thought. I have been playing with extending to a higher level, or perhaps I will just continue to add my reviews to this challenge. It is my first year doing this challenge, so I’m not sure if I can extend my level, as I would possibly be able to meet a higher level, but at the same time, I’m not sure if the right books would come my way in time.
The next level I can go to is Emu – I’d need to read an additional five male authors at least, and an extra three female authors – which is doable. I have read fantasy, humour, crime, and historical fiction as well as adventure and several other genres. I can aim for the Emu level unofficially and see how it all goes. I will keep you updated and continue to add reviews to the challenge database.
Aussie Author Reading Challenge 2021
12 – 4 male, 4 female, 4 new to you
3. Elizabeth and Elizabeth by Sue Williams (new to you, historical fiction)
4. Cry of the Firebird by T.M. Clark (new to you, crime)
5. Shiver by Allie Reynolds (new to you, thriller)
6. The Nerd Herd by Nathan Luff and Chris Kennett (new to you, humour)
7. Joe and the Stars by Phil Cummings and Connah Brecon (new to you, family)
10. The Golden Tower by Belinda Murrell (fantasy, time slip)
11. School of Fish: Fintastic Four by Louis Shea (graphic novel, school)