Ion 2021, The Modern Mrs Darcy challenge took a different tack in 2021 – more about quality of reading lives, rather than fitting your reading life and journey around a reading challenge. Last year, I took on SEVEN challenges, and completed six – with the final posts on the way at the time of writing this. However, towards the end of the year, the categories I had either avoided or left until I found the book started to loom – and these were highly specific ones that here in Australia, were not as easy to fill, due to the pandemic and accessibility of titles, or the fact that they were books I had never heard of, and that were likely very hard to get outside of America.
So not only am I aiming for fewer challenges this year – but ones that are more generalised and open, as this will reduce the stress and allow me to focus on what I want to read.
This year, Modern Mrs Darcy provided a wonderful kit to build my own challenge around my goals, and I was able to use previous prompts that were general and broader, and I should be able to fill most of them with Australian authors.
So my 2021 Modern Mrs Darcy challenge is taken from various prompts, and they are:
- A book published this year (2021):
- A book you’ve been meaning to read:
- A book by a local author:
- A book about books or reading:
- A book by a favourite author:
- A book you own but have never read:
- A book you can read in a day:
- A book you’ve already read:
- A book from your childhood:
- Three books by the same author:
- A book you chose for the cover
- A book that was banned at some point:
As always, I will aim to read a different book or author for each category but if necessary, there will be some doubling up.